Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2008

ESX on Dell Optiplex 755

In my test environment I am going to use Dell Optiplex 755 machine(s) in place of our normal rack servers. This is for cost reasons as we lease Dell 755 computers and I can use a few of our spare units for this test lab.

  1. The NIC that is in the Optiplex desktops does NOT work with ESX/ESXi
    There are several options but the one that seems to be the best is the Intel Pro 1000 series. For this I needed the low profile option as our machines are the SFF model and only support low profile cards. (Intel Pro/1000 GT #PWLA8391GTLBL) $38
  2. I increased the interal drive to a Hitachi 500GB drive (Hitachi #P7K500) $72
  3. RAM is a huge factor for Virtualization so I added 4GB and can go to 8GB if necessary
    (Kingston 240 pin DDR2) $87

I did encounter a few bumps along the way:

  • Processor - you need to have a processor that can run 64bit. Initially my 755 shipped with a E4600 dual-core processor. I enabled VT in the BIOS but it would not run 64bit VMs. This is because all "E" series processor's do not support 64bit - you need to have a "Q" series processor
    Here is a link from Intel that will allow a comparison of any processor and the options that each will support:
    http://compare.intel.com/PCC/intro.aspx
    select "Intel Desktop"
  • You can use the AMD processors if your box supports them as all of the new AMD processors support 64-bit

I opted to move to a quad-core processor as the costs have decreased:
Q6600 (Quad-Core 2.4GHz) $245

There are a few steps to be taken to get ESX/ESXi to install on a desktop machine. Here are the link that I got this information from:
http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm
This link gives a good breakdown of what motherboards/machines ESX can run on

http://x220.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27913
This link has the setup to get ESX/ESXi to install

Pre-install:
* Go into the Bios and change the SATA operation to "Legacy"
* Enable Virtualization and VT for Direct I/O
* Disable NIC, the NIC on the mobo will not work

3 comments:

Sam Hartley said...

Thanks for the article. This has come in handy for me, going to go for the same setup to demo ESX in the hope they will shell out for a new server and ESX.

Ghori said...

Thanks a lot. After reading your article I went to my desk and installed it successfully without any problem. Toda.

Unknown said...

A correction: Both E and Q series Intel Core 2 processors supported 64bit instructions, however not all Core 2 CPU's support hardware virtualization technology (VT-x, which is required to run 64bit virtual machines.